I am a co-founder of Rattle Tales, a night of interactive story-telling, run by local writers in Brighton.
Our nights are about enjoying listening to short stories, and then engaging with the people who wrote them. Rather than listening passively to writers read, you get the chance to talk to the writer about their story, letting them know what you loved, and what didn’t work for you. If you want to show some noisy appreciation, we’ve got rattles for you to shake…..or you could bring your own.
I often persuade Rattle Tales that I should read, so can more often than not be found at their shows.
The Brighton Prize
Now in its third year, Brighton’s only short story competition goes international for 2016 and has added a flash fiction and local writer category. The deadline for entries is 10th June.
The Beach Hut Writers
Is a group of professional authors living and working in Brighton. There are now over 80 of us (though this barely scratches the surface of Brighton writers!) We meet regularly to run workshops, skillshare, network and support each other’s books. For more information on us and useful writing tips and news, even book launch invitations and book giveaways, please like our Facebook page.
The Beach Hut Writing Academy
Launched in 2015. The Academy is run by professional writers and provides short practical course for writers at all levels. http://www.beachhutwritingacademy.com/
Write By The Beach – The Angel House, Brighton.
Rattle Tales are sponsoring at session at the first Beach Hut Writer’s Academy Conference. It is being held in Brighton on March 12th and I am co-presenting the session on Writing Priz-Winning Short Stories with Bridget Whelan.
The conference is now sold out.
Rattle Tales At A Sussex House
A weekend writing retreat with special focus on the short story at the idyllic Sussex House near Lewes. Includes workshops and mentoring by myself and Alice Cuninghame.
Rattle Tales At Brighton Fringe
Back again for our 5th Brighton Fringe! Tickets sell out fast.
Creative Future Course – Getting Your Writing Out There
I am running a two day course on getting your writing noticed. It is at Whitehawk Library on Sept 10th and 17th and we will be loooking at everything from, Twittertales to major fiction prizes. The courses are for marginalised clients. For more information check the link.
Together The People Festival – Preston Park 5th and 6th Sept
I’ll be reading on Sunday 6th in The Soapbox with The Beach Hut Writers.
Place Based Arts Conference – Brighton Writes
University of Brighton May 29th.
A one day free conference on Brighton inspired writing.
Rattle Tales @ Brighton Fringe
May 21st The Brunswick Hove 8pm (Sold Out)
Beach Hut Writers @ The Tinker Box Spiegel Garden, Brighton Fringe Festival
Fri May 8th 6.45 and Sat 9th May 5pm-6pm
Rattle Tales Fringe Festival Slam
Saturday 9th May 8pm @ The Tinker Box, Spiegel Gardens, Brighton Fringe Festival
Oxfam Readings For International Women’s Day, March 7th Brighton Oxfam Bookstore, 30 Kensington Gardens, Brighton
Details still to be confirmed, but an inspiring list of Brighton women will read fiction, fact and poetry from 6-8pm and will be available to chat and sign books afterwards. There will also be music and refreshments. I might even make a cake!
Writer’s In The Hall – How To Get Published, Friday April 24th, Exeter Street Hall, Exeter Stree, Brighton
I will be taking part in a panel discussion at Exeter Street Hall
Friday April 24th 7.15-9.00pm
On June 22nd Rattle Tales will be hosting it’s first writing workshop at The Friends Meeting House in Brighton. Myself and fellow author Amanda Welby-Everard will be presenting a kickstart your writing workshop with tutor-led writing excercises and discussion. For details and to book go to www.rattletales.org/workshops/
- I read at No 42 a very sucessful Artists Open House in the 2014 Christmas festival.
- Rattle Tales has helped organised The Small Wonder Slam two years in a row at Charleston Small Wonder Festival. I read at one event and judged at the other. We hope this collaboration will continue.
- I have read at Rattle Tales several times and presented once and will continue to do so as long as I’m good enough.
- I performed a story at Galerie de la Baie, Le Crotoy, France as part of Rattle Tales En Vacances.
- I read a flash fiction piece at Rattle Tales sell out night at Brighton Fringe.
- WordTheatre at Latitude Festival 2012 – I was very lucky to have Underneath performed by real actors!
- Ace Stories: I read an extract from STARLINGS at Ace Stories Brighton on September 25th 2012 at The Pelirocco Hotel.
- Hospital Radio: I spent a very pleasant hour on Coastway Hospital Radio discussing the book and playing my favourite music.
- Liar’s League London: UNDERNEATH was read at Liars League London on July 12th 2011 watch
- Hendrick’s Short Story Slam: I took part in the Hendrick’s Short Story Slam at this year’s Brighton Fringe Festival. A terrifying and exciting experience!
- Brighton Open Houses 2011/12: I read at The Gloobah and AC Artist’s Open Houses during the 2011/12 Brighton Festivasl.
- Grit Lit: I read at Grit Lit Brighton in 2010 and 2011 watch here
- Are you sitting comfortably ?: Two of my stories SLEEPING IN A COFFIN and VIRTUOSITY have been expertly interpreted at Are You Sitting Comfortably? in Brighton. I recommend this as an experience for a writer so check out their website.
Loved your workshop in Worthing today, you are very affirming of the work of others. Blogged you on my site, but could not see how to email you from any of your literature, tried twice.
Don’t do twitter and not often facebook except for my stand up comedy gigs. Would follow your blog but could not even see where to do this…must be tired.Catch up soon. take care love annx
Thanks Ann – I was very nervous at first ( I haven’t done many!) It was a good group everyone very enthusiastic. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org – that should work. The blogs quite new so I’m still tinkering not sure how to get members. Lovely to meet you. Please come to Rattle Tales and I’ll let you know when the next open workshop is and where. Rin x